|| At the Otto Schott Institute for Materials Research, Chair of Materials Science at the Faculty of Physics and Astronomy of Friedrich Schiller University Jena, two PhD student positions for research assistants (m/f/d) for 20 hours/week each are vacant as of 01.09.2019 or later.
Research foci for the positions are:
• Position 1 (PhD student): Graphene based materials for life sciences
• Position 2 (PhD student): Control of cellular response on materials through protein adsorption
• Current and exciting research fields with ample opportunities to employ creativity
• Opportunity for further academic qualification (e.g. doctorate)
• Scientific and soft-skill training
• Use of state-of-the-art equipment and infrastructure
• Pleasant working environment in an interdisciplinary and international research team
• Collaboration opportunities with other groups and institutions
• City with high quality of life and pleasant surroundings
• Employee benefits, e.g. capital-building benefits, job ticket (discounts for public transport), company pension scheme (VBL)
• University health promotion and a family-friendly working environment with flexible working hours
• Salary in accordance with the pay scheme for the civil service of the Länder (TV-L) according to previous qualifications and experience up to pay grade 13.
• A recently obtained university degree (MSc or diploma) in materials science (preferred), or experimental polymer physics or physical/organic chemistry with excellent study grades
• Research experience in one or more of the following fields:
o Materials science
Graphene materials (position 1)
o Biomaterials (position 2)
• Research experience in the field of materials fabrication (carbon based materials, composites, biomaterials or protein-based materials) and materials characterization protein based materials, biomaterials, polymers, hydrogels) and materials characterization
• Experience in conducting seminars, practicals and didactic abilities
• Excellent oral and written German and English language skills
• Position 1:
o Fabrication/synthesis, device creation, characterization and understanding (structure-property relationships) of graphene based antimicrobial biomaterials
o Performing of tests of the created materials
• Position 2:
o Fabrication/synthesis, device creation, characterization and understanding (structure-property relationships) of new materials and materials interfaces
o Elucidation of the structure and function of adsorbed proteins on materials surfaces
• For both positions:
o Development of new, groundbreaking materials concepts
o Teaching (seminars, practicals etc.)
o Participation in the preparation of applications for third-party funding and in project management
o In addition, the applicants are expected to work on a further scientific qualification project, e.g. a doctorate.
The positions are initially for 3 years (part time).
Disabled persons with identical aptitude, skills and professional qualifications will be given preferential consideration.
Applications with complete application documents (declaration of motivation, curriculum vitae, list of publications, summary of research experience, date of availability, as well as the names of three references) are to be submitted by 31.07.2019 electronically in one PDF document, stating the registration number 188/2019:
Prof. Dr. Klaus D. Jandt, Chair of Materials Science (CMS)
Otto Schott Institute for Materials Research, Friedrich Schiller University
Löbdergraben 32, D-07743 Jena
E -mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also note our applicant information for full advert details at: www.uni-jena.de/stellenmarkt_hinweis.html Please also note the information on the collection of personal data at: www.uni-jena.de/Universität/Stellenmarkt/Datenschutzhinweis.html