|| The Ernst-Ruska Centre (ER-C) for microscopy and spectroscopy with electrons at Forschungszentrum Jülich is partner of an interdisciplinary Helmholtz pilot project “Information and Data Science” that aims to improve both quality and throughput of ptychographic reconstruction schemes. Ptychography is a computational method to reconstruct an object of interest with high quality from a set of measured coherent interference patterns. This has potential applications in electron microscopy, x-ray microscopy and XUV microscopy.
We are looking to recruit a
PhD position - Ptychographic reconstruction algorithms for Big Data
• Develop scalable, portable, and parallel implementations of novel ptychography methods for both CPUs and GPUs that can handle high data volumes and rates (“big data”)
• Close collaboration with groups that develop basic ptychographic algorithms
• Close collaboration with groups that acquire data and apply ptychographic reconstructions in practice
• Find and take advantage of optimization potential on both the mathematical and implementation side
• Develop optimal tools for data processing
• Link up the experimental setups with suitable data processing facilities to develop distributed real-time big data processing pipelines with GUI integration as a final target
• Master’s degree in computer science, mathematics, electrical engineering, physics or a related discipline
• Experience in software development, ideally Python, C or C++
• Interest in performance optimization for complex numerical processing on distributed systems
• Good command of written and spoken English
• Outstanding computing facilities and state-of-the-art transmission electron microscopes equipped with ultrafast detectors of the latest generation
• A highly motivated working group as part of an international and interdisciplinary working environment at one of Europe’s largest research establishments
• Continuous scientific mentoring by your scientific advisors as well as feedback and expertise in the multiple facets of software development, performance optimization, electron microscopy, materials science and structural biology
• Participate in international conferences, seminars and project meetings
• Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. via a comprehensive training program
• Pay in line with 50 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund), higher payment may be possible upon skills
• Usually a contract for the duration of 3 years
• Information on employment as a PhD student at Forschungszentrum Jülich can be found here http://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Further information on the project is available at:
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
Questions about the vacancy?
Contact us by mentioning the reference number 2019D-191: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably online via our online recruitment system on our career site until 27.10.2019, quoting the above-mentioned reference number.