|| As a member of the Helmholtz Association, Forschungszentrum Jülich makes an effective contribution to solving major challenges facing society in the fields of information, energy, and bioeconomy. It focuses on varied tasks in the area of research management and utilizes large, often unique, scientific infrastructure. Come and work with around 6,100 colleagues across a range of topics and disciplines at one of Europe's largest research centres.
The Institute of Bio- and Geosciences – Agrosphere (IBG-3) conducts research to improve our understanding of hydrological and biogeochemical processes in terrestrial systems. Its research contributes to the sustainable and resource-conserving use of soils and water. The Techno-Economic Energy Systems Analysis (TSA) department within the Institute of Energy and Climate Research – Electrochemical Process Engineering (IEK-3) develops and applies methods for assessing new energy-related concepts and technologies by means of energy system modelling. With a strong focus on relevant transformation pathways aiming at sustainable energy provision, energy systems are designed, simulated and evaluated regarding efficiency, robustness, flexibility as well as economic and environmental compatibility. This position is a collaboration between IBG-3 and IEK-3 where terrestrial simulation runs are used for energy systems analysis.
We are offering a
PhD position – Atmospheric sciences and / or energy physics
You will on the one hand set-up an ensemble of atmospheric model runs with the ICON-model, which is a component model of the Terrestrial Simulation Platform TSMP-PDAF, for the African continent, to simulate the continental water and energy cycles. On the other hand, you will perform simulations to determine land eligibility and renewable energy potentials with the existing tools of IEK-3. A special interest lies on high-resolution simulations in space and time of meteorological variables like wind speed and solar radiation to be applied in potential analyses of renewable energies.
Your tasks in detail:
- carry out simulations for time periods in the recent past and in the future for the African continent
- undertake atmospheric modelling over the African continent and the physics-based modelling of renewable energy sources
- identify socio-technical constraints of the potentials for renewable energy sources across Africa, which can then be used to support future energy system design in this region
- develop and apply improved electricity generation models for renewable resources across Africa based on the results of the simulations (involving the application of preexisting land eligibility and placement identification models, as well as the application of wind and photovoltaic simulation tools and their adaptation for high-resolution meteorological data)
For further information visit our websites:
https://www.fz-juelich.de/ibg/ibg-3/EN/Home/home_node.html and https://www.fz-juelich.de/iek/iek-3/EN/Forschung/_Process-and-System-Analysis/_node. html
- MSc degree (or equivalent) in simulation sciences, atmospheric sciences and/or energy physics with a good overall grade (among 30% best students)
- strong background in either atmospheric sciences or energy physics, and high interest in both research fields
- experience in mathematical modelling and programming is an advantage
- good communication and organisational skills are essential since the work involves interdisciplinary cooperation between two institutes and international partners
- vibrant international and interdisciplinary work environment at one of the largest European research campuses, close to the cities of Cologne, Aachen, and Düsseldorf
- excellent facilities for numerical simulation and experimental studies, including access to the high-performance scientific computing infrastructure at one of Europe`s leading supercomputing centres
- PhD students are encouraged to attend international conferences and can be selected for a three months research stay abroad
- specialized courses, summer schools, and seminars by renown experts
- usually a contract for the duration of 3 years
- pay in line with 75 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund). Pay higher than the basic pay may be possible
- Information on employment as a PhD student at Forschungszentrum Jülich can be found here https://www.fz-juelich.de/portal/EN/Careers/PhD-students/_node.html
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application via our online recruitment system! https://www.fz-juelich.de/SharedDocs/Stellenangebote/_common/dna/2020D-004-EN-IBG-3.html?nn=718260
Questions about the vacancy?
Contact us by mentioning the reference number 2020D-004: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.