|| As a member of the Helmholtz Association, Forschungszentrum Jülich makes an effective contribution to solving major challenges facing society in the fields of information, energy, and bioeconomy. It focuses on varied tasks in the area of research management and utilizes large, often unique, scientific infrastructure. Come and work with around 6,100 colleagues across a range of topics and disciplines at one of Europe’s largest research centres.
The Institute of Bio- and Geosciences – Agrosphere (IBG-3) conducts research to improve our understanding of biogeochemical and hydrological processes in terrestrial systems. Specific studies focus on environmental controls on biogeochemical cycling of elements, the analysis of exchange processes and nutrient dynamics in the soil-plant-atmosphere continuum. A combination of experiments, modelling and innovative observation technologies is used to bridge the gap between model, process and management scale. Its research contributes to the sustainable and resource-conserving use of soils and water and to the quantification of the effect of climate and land use change on terrestrial ecosystems. We offer a competent and interdisciplinary working environment, as well as an excellent framework in the areas of experiments and modelling.
We are offering several
PhD positions in terrestrial modeling and data analytics
Activities and responsibilities
- Develop and apply coupled terrestrial models in the research areas hydrogeology (groundwater), hydrology (soil and land surface including vegetation), and meteorology (weather/climate)
- Perform scientific simulations in supercomputer environments
- Analyze large geoscientific data sets
- Present and publish results at international conference and peer reviewer journals
- University degree (Master) in hydrometeorology computer science, physics, civil engineering or applied mathematics
- Experience in atmospheric, hydrometeorologic modelling, and data analysis
- Knowledge of data assimilation methods is an advantage
- Programming skills with Python, Fortran, C/C++
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in an international, interdisciplinary team across institutes
- Very good communication and organizational skills
- Very good command of the English language
- Vibrant international work environment on an attractive research campus, ideally situated between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- Attendance at national and international conferences and workshops
- Possibility for further scientific and technical training through international experts
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure – ideal conditions for successfully completing a doctoral degree
- Usually a contract for the duration of 3 years
- Pay in line with 75 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
- Information on employment as a PhD student at Forschungszentrum Jülich can be found here http://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
The job will be advertised until the position has been successfully filled. You should therefore submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to receiving your application via our Online-Recruitment-System!
Questions about the vacancy?
Contact us by mentioning the reference number 2020D-038: email@example.com
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.