|| Job offer
The research group Geomicrobiology within the Department of Microorganisms of the Leibniz-Institute DSMZ-German Collection of Microorganisms and Cell Cultures GmbH
PhD student position on the Ecology and annual dynamics of Thaumarchaeota-driven freshwater nitrification
Nitrification is an essential step in the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia-oxidizing Thaumarchaeota (AOA) sustain large populations in deep oligotrophic lakes (up to 40%) and provide an important ecosystem service for safe drinking water supply. This project aims to elucidate environmental controls of freshwater AOA populations and the annual dynamics of the ecosystem service they provide. AOA-driven nitrification and dark CO2-fixation rates will be investigated using stable isotope labeling techniques coupled to GC-IRMS, EA-IRMS and nano-SIMS measurements. In parallel, metagenomics and electron/fluorescent microscopy of FACS-sorted AOA cells will be used to explore the rate of viral infection and identity of infecting viruses. An ultimate goal is to isolate AOA and their viruses into pure culture.
• experience and background in environmental and molecular microbiology
• Master’s degree (or equivalent) in the above-mentioned disciplines with an overall grade of at least ‘good’
• strong English writing and communication skills
• basic experience in conducting field and laboratory experiments, bioinformatics analyses as well as driver’s license B are desired
• working in an interdisciplinary environment
• excellent facilities for biological and biotechnological research
• integration into a PhD graduate school at the TU Braunschweig including soft skill courses
• PhD students are encouraged to attend international conferences
• appointment for 3 years, salary grade TV-L 13 (65%)
• the position is offered as full time and is not appropriate for part time work
The institutes of the Leibniz Association strive to increase the proportion of female scientists. Disabled applicants with identical qualification will be preferentially selected. The DSMZ is an equal opportunity employer, supports balanced work-life career development, and holds the certificate of the audit berufundfamilie. For further information please contact Prof. Dr. Michael Pester (email@example.com). Please send your application documents as one pdf including a CV, motivation letter, one reference letter, and a synopsis of the Master’s thesis to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for application is August 24th, 2020, or until the position is filled.