Conducting research for a changing society: This is what drives us at Forschungszentrum Jülich. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, we aim to tackle the grand societal challenges of our time and conduct research into the possibilities of a digitized society, a climate-friendly energy system, and a resource-efficient economy. Work together with around 6,800 employees in one of Europe’s biggest research centres and help us to shape change!
At the Institute of Bio- and Geosciences – Agrosphere (IBG-3) – we conduct research to improve our understanding of biogeochemical and hydrological processes in terrestrial systems. Specific studies focus on environmental controls on biogeochemical cycling of elements, the analysis of exchange processes and nutrient dynamics in the soil-plant-atmosphere continuum. A combination of experiments, modelling, and innovative observation technologies is used to bridge the gap between model, process, and management scale. Our research contributes to the sustainable and resource-conserving use of soils and water and to the quantification of the effect of climate and land use change on terrestrial ecosystems. We offer a competent and interdisciplinary working environment as well as an excellent framework in the areas of experiments and modelling.
We are offering a
PhD Position – Terrestrial Modeling and Data Analytics
- Developing and applying coupled terrestrial models in the research areas hydrogeology (groundwater), hydrology (soil and land surface including vegetation), and meteorology (weather / climate)
- Performing scientific simulations in supercomputer environments
- Analyzing large geoscientific data sets
Presenting and publishing results at international conference and peer-reviewed journals
- University degree (Master) in hydrometeorology computer science, physics, civil engineering, or applied mathematics
- Experience in atmospheric, hydrometeorologic modelling, and data analysis
- Knowledge of data assimilation methods is an advantage
- Programming skills in Python, Fortran, C / C++
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in an international, interdisciplinary team across institutes; very good communication and organizational skills
- Very good command of the English language
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- Vibrant international and interdisciplinary work environment on an attractive research campus, ideally situated between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- Attendance at national and international conferences and workshops
- Possibility for further scientific and technical training through international experts
- An exceptional research infrastructure
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. through an extensive range of training courses; a structured program of continuing education and networking opportunities specifically for doctoral researchers via JuDocS (https://www.fz-juelich.de/judocs/EN/Home/home_node.html), the Jülich Center for Doctoral Researchers and Supervisors
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
The employment of doctoral researchers at Jülich is governed by a doctoral contract, which usually has a term of three years. Pay will be in line with 75% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60% of a monthly salary as special payment (“Christmas bonus”). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available here: https://www.fz-juelich.de/portal/EN/Careers/PhD-students/_node.html.
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations. We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
The job will be advertised until the position has been successfully filled. You should therefore submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to receiving your application via our Online Recruitment System (https://www.fz-juelich.de/portal/EN/Careers/application/_node.html?cms_hre_link_id=OOkqNvRGbEcUegvn&cms_lang=en)!
Questions about the vacancy?
Get in touch with us by using our contact form (https://www.fz-juelich.de/portal/EN/Careers/JobKontakt/_node.html?cms_jobid=2021D-194). Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.